Year 5 Macaw Class
Our class mission statement as written by the children:
In Macaw Class we are kind and helpful whenever we can be. We are an enthusiastic and smiley class and we always like to have fun!
In lessons we always try our best and we work together as a team making sure that no-one is left out. We always listen to each other and treat other people the way we want to be treated ourselves.
Thursday 19th October 2017
We have reached the end of our first half term in Macaw Class! Well done Macaws for all the super work that we have completed over the half term, and for how brilliantly you have settled in to upper Key Stage Two.
The children have had a fantastic week, working hard on column multiplication in relation to area and on the tricky skill of editing and improving their stories. We have produced some wonderful artwork and the children really enjoyed our science based reward of making slime!
The children should have received their Christmas Card Project. Please could all completed artwork be returned by Tuesday 31st October.
Have an amazing half term break, you've earned it!
- This week I have sent home a SPaG sheet for the children to complete on using adverbial phrases to link ideas in paragraphs.
- I have also sent home a Moon Diary for the children to complete every day for a month. Please could they draw in the shape of the moon they can see and date it underneath. Do not worry if it is too cloudy, just draw a little cloud over the top of that day! As an extra challenge: can you remember the names of the shapes of the moon and why we see the different shapes?
I have sent home another arithmetic test for the children to have a go on. We will go through these in class during the first week back so do not worry if there are any tricky questions!
Please continue to learn your times tables, aiming for at least 10 minutes per day. This may be quickfire spoken tests in the car or the walk to school, completing a few of our times table grids against the clock or by using games online. It makes a huge difference to the children's confidence when they have their times tables at their fingertips!
If you would like to practise your times tables online, you can use the following links:
- Please keep practising the Y3/4 statutory spellings using whichever method suits you!
- Check out https://www.spellzone.com/games/bouncing_anagram/index.cfm?wordlist=7957&speed=2 for games to help with learning these spellings.
The children have also enjoyed spending some of their ICT time on a wonderful online resource called Active Learn. Children have been reminded that, if they want to, they are able to access this from home. There are maths and SPaG tasks to complete on there each week.
I have also introduced the children to a game that we will have access to after the holidays. Please visit Word Mania for a demo version of the game or the website for more information on how it can help with spelling.
If children would like to email any work to me, the class' homework email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Macaw Class Events
- Half Term Holidays23Oct2017
- Back to School30Oct2017